In our 2016 fiscal year, 358 unduplicated elder clients received direct services through our companionship and advocacy programs. Additionally, an estimated 302 unduplicated non-client community-at-large elders received services of social experiences and referrals by our staff and volunteers.
- Staff members and volunteers provided isolated elders with 10,463 individual services, including 3,839 in-person visits, 2,955 telephone visits and 879 written correspondences to our elder clients;
- 219 elders who participated in the Visiting and Advocacy program received home visits, one-on-one advocacy, phone calls of assurance, and referrals from staff and volunteers; and
- 156 homebound elders in our Friendship and Flowers program received monthly treats from a team of volunteers, totaling 1,872 deliveries.
- Elders received 2,009 social experiences through 75 social events, including monthly birthday parties, holiday celebrations, activity groups, educational presentations and life-skills programming.
LBFE makes a profound difference in our community by:
- Enabling elders to “age in place” at home. Our services are free to participants. The average annual cost per participant is $640, whereas the annual cost of nursing home care is $81,760* This means that, through LBFE, nearly 128 elders have a greater chance of remaining in their homes at the cost of one year’s worth of nursing home care for one elder.
- Advocating for an underserved and often forgotten segment of our society.
- Empowering intergenerational relationships.
- Identifying vulnerability, self-neglect and other life-threatening situations, providing referrals for a wide range of critical senior services.
*Minneapolis area costs for semi-private room, 2016 Cost of Care Study, Genworth Financial
Learn more about our services.