Friendship and Flowers volunteers
Friendship and Flowers Volunteers promote friendship and wellness by making once-per-month social visits to home-bound older adults, bringing flowers, treats, and friendly conversation. These visits occur on the third Saturday morning of each month. Some volunteer relationships involve family, providing the benefits of multiple generations.
Become a Friendship and Flowers Volunteer.
Friendship and Flowers has roots that go back to the founding of Little Brothers - Friends of the Elderly. Our founder, Armand Marquiset, initially began delivering hot meals and flowers to the elderly poor in Paris after World War II, believing that "the greatest poverty is the poverty of love."
Friendship and Flowers volunteer responsibilities include:
- Acting as liaison between your elder friend and LBFE by reporting any concerns about health and well-being to the Program Coordinator
- Following the policies of the organization
- Respecting confidentiality regarding the elder
- Demonstrating commitment, reliability, and responsibility
- Providing feedback, suggestions, and recommendations to appropriate LBFE staff concerning the effectiveness of the program
- Informing LBFE staff if you are unable to continue your volunteer duties
The benefits of being a Friendship and Flowers volunteer include:
- Gratification in knowing that the isolation of an elder has been relieved.
- New friendships and sharing new experiences.
- Experience in the field of aging.
- New or enhanced skills and abilities.
- Attendance at LBFE celebrations, activities and workshops.
- Free monthly newsletters, ongoing training and support.
- Desire to enhance the well-being of elders.
- Sensitivity to the needs of lonely and isolated elders facing difficult life experiences.
- Effective communications skills.
- Ability to make commitments and follow through.
- Flexibility and an open mind to diversity.
- 1-1/2 hour orientation and basic training
- 2 hours every 3rd Saturday morning of the month
Still have questions? Contact the Volunteer Manager at email@example.com or 612.746.0732.